As a Knowledge Network, we often get confused for a freelancing platform. While an easy mistake to make, there are some key differences between freelancing platforms such as Upwork, and Knowledge Networks such as Lynk
Freelancing is defined by dictionary.com as a person who works as a writer, designer, performer, or the like, selling work or services by the hour, day, job, etc., rather than working on a regular salary basis for one employer. These independent contractors either work through freelancing platforms such as the previously mentioned Upwork or Toptal, with a temporary agency or even networking.
Knowledge Networks differ in several fundamental ways:
- The majority of consultations through a Knowledge Networks are outside the creative industry. Clients’ needs can vary across a wide scope of industries.
- Knowledge Networks offer a large range of opportunities for their Knowledge Partners. For example, while freelancers may be brought onboard to help a specific project, Knowledge Partners can be involved in many different consultations for a variety of clients. These vary from phone consultations to webinars, and even in-person meetings.
- While working with a Knowledge Network, you will undergo compliance training. This ensures that insider trading is avoided and maintains both personal and client confidentiality obligations. As a freelancer you may have to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), however, it’s important to remember that compliance is a much more rigorous and robust process.
- Unlike life as a freelancer, working with a Knowledge Network means that projects will come to you rather than you having to seek them out. For some requests, we recruit Knowledge Partners directly on a case by case basis.
- We see Knowledge Networks as a platform that professionals can join to supplement their own industry passions. It’s true that individuals can make a career out of freelancing, however, it’s highly unlikely that you will be able to do the same as a Knowledge Partner.
Think you could benefit from Lynk’s Knowledge Partners through a business consultation or would like to become a member of our network?